When It Comes To Expert Masonry Work – We’re Your Team!
Deteriorating brick and mortar not only devalue your home and detract from its beauty, but they can also cause serious structural damage and decrease chimney and appliance efficiency and safety. What’s worse is that many people attempt to make masonry repairs without the knowledge, tools, and skill set to do the job right (often producing even more dangerous and unattractive results).
Fortunately for those in mid-Michigan, northern Ohio, or northern Indiana, you can count on Old Smokey’s to repair, repoint, restore, or rebuild your chimney with expert results. Our masons are certified by the Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA) and have been studying the history of masonry for decades. We know which techniques work, which materials of today work with which materials of yesteryear, and how to provide seamless results that last and last.
Give us a call, so we can get going on your next repair as soon as possible. You can also reach us online.
What Is Chimney Repointing (Tuckpointing)?
In order to maintain the beauty and soundness of a masonry chimney, it’s imperative that you have needed repairs completed swiftly. If your chimney’s masonry is cracking, crumbling, gapping, or spalling, you’ll want to count on professional masons to make these repairs, so that you can get back to enjoying your chimney system ASAP.
That’s where our chimney repointing services come into play. Repointing – sometimes called tuckpointing – is the process of renewing the external part of mortar joints in masonry construction. It involves removing the old, crumbling, and damaged mortar, then replacing it with new mortar.
It sounds simple enough, but this new mortar can’t be something you purchased and mixed up from the hardware store or a similar-in-color bottle of caulk. It has to match precisely both in color, texture, and overall composition or your entire structure will suffer – not just in looks, but in stability and overall soundness as well.
As you can imagine, this is not a quick or easy process (especially for older homes), and it’s one that must be handled by a professional. Fortunately, it’s nothing our team of experts can’t handle.
How Can I Prevent Chimney Masonry Damage?
- Book Regular Inspections: Have a professional chimney sweep (like one of our crew members) inspect your chimney at least once a year. We can identify any early signs of masonry damage and address issues before they turn into costly and time-consuming repairs.
- Invest in Waterproofing: Water is your masonry’s biggest foe. Waterproofing your chimney helps protect it from rain, snow, and other weather elements. We can apply an industry-grade waterproof sealant to the exterior of your masonry surfaces, including the chimney crown.
- Install a Chimney Cap: A chimney cap is an effective barrier against water, debris, and animals entering your chimney. It helps prevent water from directly contacting the masonry, reducing the risk of damage.
- Ensure Proper Ventilation: Good ventilation helps prevent condensation within the chimney – something that can contribute to masonry deterioration. Ensure that the chimney has good draft and that air and smoke can flow out efficiently and properly.
- Avoid Creosote Buildup: Creosote, a byproduct of burning wood, can accumulate in the chimney and cause damage. Regular cleanings prevent excessive buildup, as can maintaining good burning practices (using seasoned wood, burning hot fires, etc.)
- Repair Small Cracks Quickly: If you notice any cracks or signs of deterioration in the masonry, don’t wait – have a pro come look at them right away. Small issues can escalate if left unattended, leading to more extensive damage.
Book With Our Certified Technicians – We’d Love To Help You Out
Don’t trust your masonry repairs to the inexperienced. Whether we’re repointing mortar joints or doing a complete restoration or rebuild, we provide the highest-quality results, every time Reach out online to learn more about these repair services or give us a call at 260-587-9691. Let us restore, repair or rebuild the chimney of your dreams!